Thursday, June 15, 2006

 

Festival Update


After writing the blog Primavera Sound 1st – 3rd June 2006 (Archives; Tuesday 6th June 2006) I emailed the webpage to organisers of both Primavera Sound and Summercase to see if I could get a response or any comments.

Mich Micenmacher from Primavera Sound got back to me the very same day with this response:

Hello Craig,

Thank you very much for your time on writing all this information.

I've read the text carefully and I will pass it through to the others members of the team.

I'm glad listening you've had fun besides this issues you are commenting.
I hope we can improve in 2007 and why not, see you there again.

Take care.

Mich Micenmacher
Primavera Sound


This response to me seems a little flimsy and it’s insulting that it’s obviously PR dribble for go away and leave us alone. They haven’t made any promises to improve access next year nor have they indicated that they have a disability policy or guidelines. If they did have a disability policy we might be able to show them where they’re going wrong and improve access at Primavera Sound in 2007. I guess I’ll have to keep pushing by email or give them a call.



Right: Crowds at the Estrella Damm Stage at Primavera Sound made it impossible for wheelchair users to see the bands.


Summercase were slightly slower with their response and emailed me today (15th June). However it does seem promising:

Hi Craig,

For Summercase, in both cities the arenas are adapted to be wheelchair accessible and there are platforms to see the concerts at close distance. Our recommendation is that you go to the venue in Barcelona, I suppose that is where you have bought your entrance ticket, because the venue at Forum is asphalted, whereas the one at Boadilla, Madrid is sand.

Greetings and we hope you enjoy the festival

info@summercase.com
www.summercase.com


The original email was in Spanish so I’ve done my best to translate it! For those of you that speak Spanish the original email is posted in the comments page. So it would appear that Summercase have taken into account that disabled people need platforms in order to see anything. I will be ecstatic if this is the case (I’ll let you know in July) and lets hope Primavera Sound can get this sorted by 2007.

Obviously I commented on more issues than just viewing platforms in the blog about Primavera Sound and we’ll have to see what the toilet situation is like at Summercase. However, it would seem that whoever replied from Summercase has at least some knowledge of disability as he/she states “the venue at Forum is asphalted, whereas the one at Boadilla, Madrid is sand”. This to me implies that they understand that sand is a pain in the bearings for wheelchair users. Maybe next year the Madrid venue will be more accessible too.


Comments:
Email de Summercase en español:

Hola Craig,

Está muy chulo el escrito.

Para Summercase, en ambas ciudades los recintos están adaptados para ser accesibles en silla de ruedas y cuentan con plataformas para ver los conciertos a poca distancia. Nuestra recomendación es que vayas a la edición de Barcelona, que supongo que es para donde has comprado la entrada, porque el recinto del Fórum está asfaltado, mientras que el de Boadilla es de arena.
Un saludo y esperemos que te guste el festival

info@summercase.com
www.summercase.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?